Thursday, April 19, 2012

Finals Week: Organization


Campus Collegiate: Home and Living


It stresses you out, makes absolutely sure you are nice and sleep deprived, turns you into a zombie wearing clothes that you would never be caught dead in on a normal basis and basically turns you into a walking disaster.

That’s right…. it’s finals week.

I’m here with only four tips that will help you keep calm and make sure everything in your life is in tip-top shape to improve your study habits and get you prepared for those inevitable all-nighters.

1. Organize your notes.
Over the weeks that shiny folder has become full of miscellaneous clutter that is not helping you figure out exactly what the author meant in fill in cliché English book here. Clean up. Throw away anything that you don’t need and focus only on what is going to be on your final. Highlight key points, make flashcards, do anything and everything that you know will help you. This site has good tips on how to actually take notes, as well as organize them: http://www.brighthub.com/education/college/articles/67987.aspx.

I am partial to flashcards because I don’t retain information by simply reading it. A newer tool I have been utilizing is the “Droid Flashcard” app on my phone (free from the Market). I know that Apple has flashcard apps for the iPhone, but I haven’t used any personally because I have a Droid. If anyone knows of a good iPhone app, I would really appreciate a comment with one. On my app, I can type things up directly on my phone, but better yet, I can type everything I need on my computer and sync or send it to my phone. It is so much easier than writing out and carrying around a tower of index cards

2. Let in the light!
We all know that library’s are disgustingly crowded during finals week and finding a table to sprawl out on is almost as impossible as denying how unbelievably gorgeous Ryan Gosling is. Don’t fight the crowds and add another stressor to your life, just turn your room into a place you can actually get work done! Make sure you have lots of light on your desk. I found a nice lamp at Wal-Mart for only $6. I posted the link to it below. Don’t forget that they have price matching, so print this out and head to your local Wal-Mart for a cheap light source.

3. Smell the success.
The sense of smell is a very powerful thing. For finals week, it can even calm you down. Lavender has been proven to have an aromatherapy effect that calms your senses. Don’t burn incense and set off the fire alarm (making you a dorm of enemies) and instead buy a Glade Plugin. I went with the Lavender and Vanilla one for the week. You can, again, go to Wal-Mart and get the Plugin with two scented oil refills for only $4.88. I highly recommend this one.

4. Hear the triumph.
Show those tests that you deserve a 3.5 GPA this semester and study while listening to classical music. We've all heard that classical music can help, but is this true? Here is one study from the University of Nebraska at Omaha that claims classical music can help while studying: http://music.arts.usf.edu/rpme/effects.htm. There are countless classical music stations on free music site Pandora. I always study while listening to Pandora’s  Classical Music Medley station. 


Use these four tips and just remember, it’s only a test! You’ll be home soon enough, eating homemade food and playing with your dog (or cat or fish). Take it one day at a time and you’ll make it through. I promise.



Jenna Danzig
Campus Collegiate

No comments:

Post a Comment