Thursday, April 19, 2012

Finals Week: Study Tips


College students are known for their ability to procrastinate. Pulling an all-nighter once in a while may not seem like a big deal, but there is no way you will be able to do that during finals week. Preparing for the dreaded week might take a little bit of time, but you will feel better, and chances are, you will do better on your exam. Following these simple tips will make finals week go by like a breeze.

An important question to ask yourself when getting ready to study is where to go? Do you study at home? In your bed or at your desk? Or maybe you want to get serious and join the majority of students who flock to the library. What if your school has more than one library though, how do you choose between the two?



First, think of what makes you feel more comfortable. One library might be older, smell like old books, and have more worn-in furniture. The other might be newer, have fewer books, and seem less like a library. Personally, the library I choose depends on what time of the day it is. I choose the older one during the day, but the newer one at night. Don’t ask why. But whatever library you feel comfortable with is the one you should go for.



After getting off your couch, getting dinner, filling up your gas tank, running an errand or two, you have finally made it to the library. The last thing you want to realize when you get there is that you have forgotten something. Making sure you have everything you need before hitting the library will save you from the pain of driving all the way home later.


I always bring whatever folders, notebooks, and books I need for the night, as well as a planner (I cannot live without one). I also usually need index cards, my computer, my iPod, Chap Stick, pens, and highlighters. In case I get hungry I normally bring a snack and water (in a reusable cup, of course).

Many students think that staying up all night is the best study method, and I have to admit that I am guilty of that as well. In reality though, I always feel terrible the next day and I don’t think those extra couple of hours studying really helps. Instead, plan ahead. Making a study guide a few days before your test, and going over it a few times before the test is a much more effective way of studying. Doing this will reiterate the material in your head, as well as letting you get the beauty rest you need.

Fuel is important too. I am often tempted to order a pizza late at night when I am studying because it’s delicious and easy. Afterwards, I never feel good and I always regret eating those greasy slices. Instead, opt for some fish, fresh fruit, or eggs to keep you full and focused (look here for more healthy options).

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment